A Probably Bias Anime Review – Charlotte

Hello EDUbloggers, today I will be reviewing an anime called Charlotte.

Charlotte Basic Details

• Episodes – 13
  • Finished Airing
  • Genre – Drama, School, Superpowers

Synopsis

Charlotte is an anime about an alternate world with most children who hit puberty will acquire supernatural abilities that no one knows how it came about. Our story follows what seems like a charming and intelligent teenager named Yuu Otosaka, but he has a secret. He has the ability to slip into people’s minds and fully control their body for five seconds at a time. He has been using that skill for years in order to reach the highest grade ranks and to attend a prestigious school. Until a girl by the name of Nao Tomori catches Yuu Otosaka and blackmails him and his sister to transfer to Hoshinoumi Academy a school for children with supernatural abilities. Within Hoshinoumi Academy there is a special student council led by Nao Tomori, they are tasked to take down adolescents who abuse their powers.  Yuu Otosaka becomes a part of the student council to take down these adolescents. With Yuu Otosaka apart of the student council, he is revealed a secret of himself that changes everything.

Review

Now that I think about it the synopsis goes in a bit too deep but it doesn’t exploit any major plot points.

I thought Charlotte, in the beginning, was a very good anime. There was strong character development, interesting story so far, beautiful animation, a minor comedy which was enjoyable, and mystery. This was all great and I had high hopes for how the anime was progressing. But then as the anime was nearing it’s 13 episode mark, that’s when it started to feel really rushed. The episodes towards the end were really jam-packed and it made watching it confusing and sad. That is a harsh way of putting it but seriously, the final episode was basically an entire 24 episodes within one episode. Instead of shoving this story in 13 episodes they should have strived for 24 episodes. Or another alternative would be to end the season with 13 episodes correctly which means not rushed and come out with a second season to cover what happens to finish off the story. To me, 24 episodes seem like a better match to what should have been done. Originally after the 13th episode in Charotte, that’s it, the story is basically wrapped up and that’s the end of the series. So a 24 episode outcome would have made the producers have a better idea of how they would plan out the series. Overall I think that this anime’s story is great and it really hit me in the feels at a certain point. But it was sadly rushed which I think ruined it. I do recommend watching it see this story unfold, but I assure that you will be disappointed in how they end it. But it is worth the watch in its own way.

Image result for Charlotte anime
Free To Use Via Flickr

Thank you!

-hmsbrady